Research - Printing Companies

After researching and speaking to various people from my course I have found a few companies that I am going to look into in regards to self publishing. My plan is to produce the smallest runs I can of a document for the cheapest cost in order to get a feel about the quality of their products without spending too much money. I am aware that most companies offer a software program via their website to get the best out of their products or allow you to send your own PDF's, as I am reasonably confident with InDesign I will be designing all of the documents myself in order to keep continuity in the content so focus can be kept on the product itself.

Newspaper Club is the first real company I was told about by various friends and previous students, including Andy Jones who still has a few copies of his left for sale. As the name suggests Newspaper Club print newspapers in the traditional way, they can and will print pretty much anything in newspaper format and it seems the more you print the cheaper it gets. Obviously there are limitations such as ink bleeding through and a lack of durability but the process is very cheap and one I will be looking into.
Digital Print Partership (DPP) are a company I found through Google, they print pretty much everything in any format, however it is there saddle stitched brochures and perfect bound documents that I am interested in as they not only offer a wide variety of sizes and paper qualities but also the nature of them lends themselves very well to zines and photobooks. Obviously these are more substantial products and so cost more but the difference in price seems to be worth it, again printing one document can be costly but printing more results in cheaper costs overall. Again the offer help with layout and design software but I will be opting to design my own PDF.

Finally there are Blurb and Ubyu, both of which offer high end book printing and binding. These are the most costly but also the most substantial, I have grouped them together as there end products look to be very similar whereas the previous two were very different. They offer a wide range of sizes, paper thicknesses, lamination/gloss options, covers and pretty much everything else you can think of. However after only browsing through their websites I feel the products they offer are of a much higher quality and higher price than what I was originally looking for and so I will be looking into the other previously mentioned printing companies first.