Photoshop Basics - Dust and Scratches

This will be the first in a small selection of photoshop tutorials that I will be finding online in order to improve either the content and or quality of my photographs, these will be mainly based on video tutorials found via youtube or google search results.

Removing Dust and Scratches
One of the mot noticeable problems I encountered with developing my own photos was problems with dust or scratches on the film once I had scanned them, this is a fairly frequent problem and once easily remedied, The video below explains the process in full detail but I will be showing only the very basic steps here.
As you can see the original image has a lot of dust and scratches, the first step is to duplicate the layer, this means that if anything goes wrong you can start again and you have not damages the original file. Once duplicated you follow the menu - filter, noise, dust and scratches and the menu below will be shown, by altering the radius and threshold of the pixels the programme will eliminate the scratches etc that it sees as anomalies.
However this can result in a loss of quality as seen above, to redeem this we use the eraser tool to remove sections from the top layer in order to show the detailed sections from the bottow layer, in this case the eyes.Once this stage is complete the image can be flattened and you have an image that is free of dust and scratches but can retain its quality.This is a fairly quick and simple process but one that could definitely benefit all of my photos quite easily, next I will be looking at sharpening images overall.